Friday, December 7, 2012

This is exactly the kind of thing that happens to me

Yesterday I went to my GP for my annual check up. After the exam, he recommended getting a Tetanus shot. He thought my current Tetanus vaccination plan ("get a Tetanus shot whenever I do the kind of bodily harm that exposes me to Tetanus") was not ideal, and he said the new Tetanus shot also protects people against Whooping Cough. I'm not too interested in whooping so I agreed to it. I declined the flu shot, though, because I got it in Walgreen's back in September. 

The doctor left and the nurse came in and gave me the shot first. Then she needed blood for some annual tests. She started on my left arm (the shot went in the right arm, so I guess she was balancing me out). She got about half a vial and that was it. She tried a bit more and then said she needed to swap arms. Super.

So I offered my already vaccinated arm for the cause, and she eventually got enough blood out, although not without having several equipment malfunctions that drew out the process. My arms both sport some magnificent bruising today. The shot below, taken yesterday, does not show the full glory of the colors.



I checked out and went to the bathroom (of course). I started to look over my receipt. And then I saw it. "Flu vaccine."

What?

I think I did some swearing in the bathroom, and then I went back to the check-out desk.

"Excuse me. I think I was just given the wrong shot."

The receptionist's eyes got big as she listened to my explanation. She took my paperwork and was gone for a really long time.

Fortunately, the doctor had the nerve to admit his mistake. He apologized and took full responsibility for writing down the wrong thing, which I have to give him credit for. Then he said, "So, the Tetanus shot's still on the table...."

So I sat down, offered the other arm, and sucked it up.

Now I'm extra awesomely protected against the flu and I have sore rainbow arms too. Lucky me!

Help support LATR by using the links below when you shop:


Dog people: Click here to shop at Clean Run!


2 comments:

  1. You should get to 'vaccinate' him with as many needle sticks/bruises as you have. That may make him pay a little better attention next time! Geezz

    ReplyDelete